Having a thorough understanding of the complex regulations that may change frequently,  Kotze Law provides knowledge and expertise for all visa categories.

The Australian Immigration Policy is non-discriminatory.  Anyone can apply regardless of race, gender, origin, religion, ethnic origin or sexual preference.

There are however various criteria that must be met by an Applicant.  The program places emphasis on attracting migrants who have the necessary education, business or work skills, which can contribute to Australia’s economic growth, qualities and attributes such as a high level of education, business track record and outstanding talents assist in the application process.  There are four main categories namely:

  • - General skilled migration;
  • - Business skills migration;
  • - Family reunion migrant;
  • - Training migrant.


An applicant can be sponsored by an Australian or overseas employer who offer employment to a skilled worker. With recognised qualifications and abilities and /or experience in particular occupations required in Australia, an applicant may be eligible for an Employer Sponsored Visa.

An Australian or foreign company or a subsidiary of a foreign company lawfully operating in Australia can sponsor and employ skilled overseas employees who have recognised qualifications and skills/or professional experience in designated occupations currently required in Australia.

Eligible skilled people can be sponsored by Australian employers to live and work in Australia on either a temporary or permanent basis.

Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) – (Subclass 482)

This visa, referred to as the TSS visa, enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in genuinely skilled workers where they cannot source an appropriately skilled Australian. It facilitates targeted use of overseas workers to address temporary skill shortages, while ensuring that Australian workers get priority. TSS visa holders can work in Australia in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor under one of three streams:

  • - the Short-Term stream
  • - the Medium-Term stream
  • - the Labour Agreement stream.


Employer Nomination Scheme [ENS] (Subclass 186) 

The purpose of the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) is to allow Australian employers to fill highly skilled positions with suitably qualified migrants. The scheme is designed to assist employers who are unable to meet their skilled Australian workforce needs from the local labour market.



You may be interested in the General Skilled Migration program if you are not sponsored by an employer and less than 45 years of age, with skills, experience and qualifications of a particular occupation that is required in Australia.

Skilled Independent, Skilled –Nominated and Skilled-Nominated or Sponsored [Provisional Visas] Australian Skill Select EOI Visa Model previously known as General Skilled Migration Visas

Are you a skilled professional, trades person, or recent Australian graduate looking to develop, advance or establish your career in Australia? Are you looking to work in a vibrant environment where you can make a difference? You could qualify for one of the skilled migration visas which will allow to work and live in Australia and a great lifestyle. Skilled Workers interested in migrating to Australia can lodge an Expression of Interest [EOI] to be considered for a skilled visa. You must meet the basic requirements and meet the pass mark on the points test. Points are awarded for Age, English language ability, Educational Qualifications, Australian Study, Study in Regional Australia, completion of Professional Year in Australia, Work Experience, Community Language, Partner Skills and Nomination from Australian government state/territory. Australian employers or state territory governments can nominate intending migrants or Department of Immigration and Citizenship could invite intending migrant who have lodged an EOI to lodge a visa application.

Visa options for Skilled Migration:

1. Skilled-Independent Subclass 189 [previously known as Subclass 175]. This points based visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member. The visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia and family members can be included in the application.

2. Skilled-Nominated Subclass 190 [previously known as Subclass 176]. This points based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by state or territory. The visa holder an live and work permanently anywhere in Australia and family members can be included in the application.

3. Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 visa. This points based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by state or territory to live and work in regional Australia. The visa is valid for five years and a visa holder must live and work in a regional area. Family members can be included in the application.


If you or your fiancé(e), partner, children, parents or other family members are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens, you may be eligible for a Parent or Partner Visa.


You may be interested in parent visas if your children are Australian Citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand Citizens.


If you are a business person who wants to establish or manage a new or existing business or if you want to invest in Australia, you may be eligible for a Business Visa. For further information, please visit Kotze Law's page on Business Visas in Australia.


If you are interested in studying, training or skills development in Australia, you may be eligible for the student visa program.

Australia provides outstanding educational opportunities and has some of the world's leading education institutions. There are many types of student visas which are determined by the study options below:

  • - English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  • - Primary or Secondary School
  • - Vocational Education and Training
  • - Higher Education
  • - Postgraduate Research


There are approximately 151 different visa categories for people who want to live in Australia on a temporary or permanent basis. We assist both individual and corporate clients alike on a broad range of other visas & Immigration Law matters, including:

  • - Child visas
  • - Remaining Relative visas
  • - Aged Dependant visas
  • - Training visas
  • - Resident Return visas
  • - Skilled specialist visas
  • - Global Talent visas
  • - Bridging visas
  • - Visitor visas
  • - Working Holiday visas
  • - Religious Worker visas
  • - AAT & federal representation

If you are interested in applying for a visa to Australia, we can certainly help. Please complete accurately the ‘Online Assessment’ request on the assessment page. Please ensure you provide as much information as possible so that we can advise you accurately on visa options based on Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) criteria.

The code of conduct can be viewed here

  • 51 Waddell Road, Bicton WA 6157 | | | (+61) 0861 461 826
  • Barristers & Solicitors (Supreme Court of WA)
  • Registered Migration Agents MARN 1278993 | 1910212
  • Advocates & Attorneys (High Court of SA) | General Council to the Bar of SA
  • .
  • Copyright © Kotze Law Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of content may give rise to civil liability claims.
  • .